Sunday 27 April 2008

The Great men came for afternoon tea

In a rare occasion, all the great men and women who had lived and gone gathered and had afternoon tea together.

After a few rounds of tea and cookies, and of course some socializing, a great man let out a sigh and said.

“I have taught my believers one of the most important qualities of human nature – LOVE. LOVE for all human being. Care for the poor and support for the deprived and oppressed. I had even taught them to love their enemies and forgive those who trespass against them.”

“Sadly, they didn’t understand the essence of my teachings. Instead of practicing what I taught, they went at great length to spread my words of LOVE by doing everything opposite of what I taught them.”

“To spread the words of LOVE, millions lives were taken in holy wars. They colonized and enslaved fellow human being. Thousands of people were tortured in inquisitions and more were burnt on stake for alleged witchery. All in the name of my teachings. The fact is I had never hurt or killed anyone in my entire time on earth.”

“Can I not feel sad?” the first great man concluded in a disappointed voice.

Other great men and women shook their heads, looking sad too.

“There ARE people starving and children suffering everyday. Instead of doing anything about that, they gather and sing once every week. How I wish there are more Mother Theresa and less evangelicals. ” added the first Great man.

Another great man stood up and said.
“My disappointments are the same as yours if not greater”
“I taught them fair and justice. I lead with good example and taught them to do what I do. I taught them to respect others beliefs and no compulsion”

“Soon after I left the world, they started to fight for who should be the leader. Isn’t that sad?’
The other great men nodded in agreement.

“They didn’t get the essence of my teaching too. Instead of practicing fair and justice I had taught them, they emulate how I dressed up and elevate the language I used as sacred. All are forms without substance”

“Similar to your believers, my believers waged wars and committed massacres to promote my teaching of fair and justice.”

“How irony.” Said another great man in a robe.
“Exactly. They even fight against themselves and everyone claims they are the true believers of my teachings. “

“For example, I regulated polygamy which was commonly practiced in my time, and imposed strict conditions on the men to marry more than 1 wife. Instead, they abuse it as an approval from me to practice polygamy”

“They claimed some cartoons ware insulting me and went on killing innocent people. When I was alive, I taught them patience. I had shown them that I wasn’t even offended when some people threw feces at me.”

The great man then turned to a bald man in robe and said.
“Your believers seem pretty peaceful. You must be happy”

The Bald great man replied.
“I have taught them the noble paths, to have righteous views. Instead they are praying to my wooden statues for protection. Some bandits and robbers carry my image with them hoping I would protect them from bullets. They burn paper money to the deceased instead of respecting and being filial to their parents. Some of my believers also claim that their way is more superior than others practiced. “

“So, no, I m not really happy”

A bare footed and bald headed great man in a white robe gave a pat to the second great man on the shoulder. He adjusted his glasses on the bridge of his nose and said.
“Well, they will understand one day. Let enjoy our tea. We might have time for a cricket game later.”

“Yes. And Florence and Theresa can be our umpire.” The first great man suggested.

No comments: