Tuesday 25 March 2008

Blaa Blaa Black sheep

Blaa Blaa Black Sheep

Every little boy or little girl know this song, or something in that tune. “Blaa Blaa Black sheep, Have u any wool? Yes sir yes sir three bag full ...”

For many many years, I always thought sheeps and goats are the same species of animal. Well, both have 4 legs and 2 horns, eat grass, make “bleaaa” sound. Most importantly, both are called “Yang” in Chinese which my primary school English teacher told me meant “goat”. Sheep in Chinese is “Mien Yang” which techincally translates to “wool goat”. So, for many years, I always thought sheeps are goats with long and thick hair. As simple as that and I was ready to argue with anyone who thought they are different species.

Now I know they are very different creatures and belong to different species. The most significant difference is in their genes. Goats have 60 pairs of chromosomes while sheeps have only 54. They are also very different in behaviours and probably their inteligence.

I haven't had good experience handling goats. When talking to people who had goats, they always tell me it is almost impossible to keep them inside a fenced area. Goats would jump, find opennings, or even undo latches on gates to escape. This says something about their nature and inteligence.

The same can't be said about sheeps. I had the experience to work in a wool shearing shed and witnessed how sheeps behave. The shearers, strong and tough blokes, would drag the sheeps, from their over crowded holding pen, by grabbing their front legs. Then these blokes would lock one of the sheeps front leg between their thighs and start shearing. I don't think that is the most pleasant experience for the sheep. These blokes are paid per sheep and when racing against time, almost every sheep would have a few patches of their skins cut out. But guess what, most of these sheeps would just take these assults quietly and amazingly without a single “Bleaaa” nor any strong willed struggles.

Now I understand why some religions call their follower “good sheeps of the mighty Lord”. Sheeps are perfect and ideal follower. No questions, no complains, just accept authority and conform unconditionally. Yea... I would be happy to have believers like them. I could have their body and soul with a snap of my fingers without all those annoying trouble makers who question and ask for proof. Mate, you question me, u go to hell. Just believe and thats love, thats faith. How nice. World peace.

On the other hand, I think goats are non conformists. They escape enclosures, they jump fences, they survive tough environments. Headache for farmers. No wonder some religions project goats as evil, bad omen etc. If everyone behaves like this, how do the Lord saves u? You have to be a good sheep to get to heaven.

So, are u a sheep or goat?

1 comment:

nobodyhere said...

cute sheep and naughty goat.... both of them are amazing creature. also have their own behave. like a stubborn roaster, it has its own behave... :)

btw, ur thought when u were at school was so funny... hahahaha....